Water use efficiency in Cyprus summary report. Report for Plan Bleu – Regional Activity Centre, under the aegis of the Water Development Department and the Plan Bleu.
Water use efficiency in Cyprus summary report.
The study presents a national analysis of the basic data for calculating the water efficiency index, assessing the progress made in terms of water savings and identifying priority actions to be introduced in order to improve water use under national strategies for improving water efficiency, in Cyprus. This study is in accord to the first priority field of action of the framework strategy in improving integrated water resources and demand management as per the “Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development” (MSSD) adopted in November 2005 and endorsed by the Barcelona Euro-Mediterranean Summit.
Client: Plan Bleu
Regional Activity Centre, Sophia, Antipolis, France
(under the aegis of the Water Development Department, Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, Cyprus)
Type: Research and Development , Water Resources & Flood Management, Environmental Policy
Duration: 05/2008 – 06/2008
Other Partners: –
The main objectives of the study were to present:
- The priority actions to be introduced in the country in order to improve the collection of basic data and the production of the efficiency index’s various components, accompanied by a cost evaluation for such actions;
- The national efficiency improvement objectives (sectoral and total) with deadlines for achieving them;
- Policies and measures adopted, projects implemented (or to be implemented) towards improving sectoral efficiency, with the estimated cost of the various actions and projects;
- The performance indicators used to assess the effectiveness of these actions (volume of water saved, for example);
- Potential financial savings to be made through the implementation of water demand management measures.
Main findings and conclusions of the study were:
- Identification of priority actions and costing (general at €39.500 once and €40,750 recurrent, drinking at €40.000 and €10.000, irrigation at €24.000 once, industrial water use efficiency at €5.000 once) to be introduced to improve the collection of basic data for the efficiency index’s various components, accompanied by a cost evaluation for such actions;
- Identification of National efficiency improvement objectives, such as:
- Application of irrigation water in line with the actual crops water requirements
- Reduction of losses from the urban water distribution systems and increase of the efficiency of domestic water uses
- Improvement of the operation, maintenance and control of the water works to ensure optimal exploitation of existing works
- Upgrading of the distribution networks of drinking water
- Creation of awareness and application of a policy and incentives scheme for saving water