Elaboration of Water Pricing Policies according to Article 9 of the Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC and Design of related Databases
Consultancy services to the Water Development Department (Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, Cyprus) for the implementation of Article 9 of the Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC. This involved the economic analysis of the water services and water uses, the elaboration of suitable Water Pricing Policies and the design and development of related databases supporting the above.
Client: Water Development Department
Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment Cyprus
Type: Environmental Policy, Water & Flood Management, Environmental Information Management
Duration: 03/2008 – 03/2010
Other Partners: ENVECO S.A. (Greece) – DRAXIS Environmental Technology (Greece) – D. Argyropoulos (Greece)
The main objectives of the project were:
- The elaboration of suitable Water Pricing Policies, according to the provisions of Articles 5 and 9 of the Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC and according to the local conditions and needs.
- The development of Information Protocols and Database System to support all information and data needed for the economic analyses
- The tasks that were successfully completed and the services that were provided included the following:
- Identification of water services (drinking water, irrigation, secondary wastewater treatment, recycled water), water providers and water uses/ users.
- Water Supply – Demand Analysis per water source, water service, water providers and water uses (detailed water balance)
- Determination of the importance of water uses (according to water demand, pressures and socioeconomic factors)
- Cost analysis per water service (financial cost, environmental cost, resource cost)
- Estimate of level of total cost recovery per water service
- Elaboration of suitable Water Pricing Policies in order to achieve appropriate cost recovery per water service
- Proposal for exemptions to the water pricing policies considering socioeconomic impacts, or other local needs/conditions
- Development of Information Protocols and Database System that can support all the information and data needed for the economic analyses, and clients capacity building
- Execution of an extensive awareness and consultation campaign with the public and stakeholders