Final Study and Design, Preparation of Tender Documents and Supervision of Construction of Solea Dam, Cyprus
The aim of the Solea dam is to confront the irrigation problems in the Solea Valley. The irrigation needs at present are met by diversions from the Karyotis river which do not fully cover them. The sizable amounts of winter flows are exploited by diversion and storage in the off- channel dam of 4 Mm3 capacity. An irrigation distribution network will meet the irrigation demand of 3.4Mm3 per year.
Client: Water Development Department Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment Cyprus subcontracted by Karavokyris & Associates (Greece) – Edafos Consulting Engineers (Greece)
Type: Water & Flood Management
Duration: 2006 – 2008
Other Partners: Karavokyris & Associates (Greece) – Edafos Consulting Engineers (Greece)
The main objectives of the project were:
- Design of an earth dam of 53m height and capacity of 4 to 4.5 Mm3
- A diversion weir
- A diversion conveyor
- Balancing reservoirs
- Pumping Stations
- Main irrigation pipes
- Preparation of tender documents and supervision of construction of the dam and associated works.
The tasks that were successfully completed by I.A.CO (as per the memorandum of cooperation which subcontracted I.A.CO for 9% of the objectives of the study, including local management) were:
- Meteorological and hydrological data and hydrologic input to the study.
- Electromechanical study for the Pumping Stations: Plans and equipment specifications (as per the Solea Dam study), the lighting of the crest of the dam, and the aeration and lighting of the diversion culvert, and
- Health and Safety Plan for the construction of the dam