Hydrologic and Hydraulic Study for the Pedhieos River within Nicosia Municipality for the construction of a Linear Recreational Park and Cycle Lane
Knowledge of the hydrologic behaviour of the stream, particularly during floods of various frequencies, is necessary for the proper design of the Linear Park and cycling lane along the Pedhieos river, so that damages to properties are reduced and loss of life is avoided. A hydrologic and hydraulic study has been carried out for the dimensioning of the streambed to accommodate rare flood events, with up to 500 years return period, so that the streambed is protected and the various structures are properly designed.
Client: Municipality of Nicosia Cyprus
Type: Water & Flood Management
Duration: 08/2006 – 11/2006
Other Partners: –
The main objectives of the project was the elaboration of a hydrologic study for the Pedhieos river reach between the bridge south of the Presidential Palace up to the bridge north of the old General Hospital, and a hydraulic study for the dimensioning of the active streambed to route flood events return period of 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200 and 500 years, so that the area is not submerged.
The tasks that were successfully completed were:
- The present day conditions of the active channel and the floodplain were surveyed, itemized and the required reconstruction/ cleaning was recorded
The rainfall record of M.S.640 at Nicosia for various intensities and return periods was evaluated
- The 12 catchments of Pedhieos and of its tributaries were determined
- The time of concentration for each catchment was determined with a number of methods and a final value was selected
- The flow at various return periods was determined on the basis of flow data for two major catchments and with the rational formula for those that flow data were not available
- The software HEC – RAS (Hydrologic Engineering Center River Analysis System of the Army Corps. Eng.) was used to project the space and time movement of a flood event in the streambed providing the water level of the flow and the ability of the channel to contain the flood, under present conditions
- The velocity of flow and the stability of the channel slopes and of the streambed section were evaluated
- Recommendations for the dimensioning of certain sections of the stream were put forward
Main conclusions and recommendations:
- The streambed in the area studied has an active channel width varying between 10 to 40m or mean width of 25m.
- Erosion is limited and the stream is stabilized due to the extensive vegetation.
- It is concluded that the natural floodplain can accept and route floods of up to 500 years return period. Some problems may be expected at the Irish-type bridges.
- As a general conclusion the Linear Park traversing the active channel or the flood plain should be elevated above the active channel.