Waste disposal permit and air emission permit applications for a number of industrial or animal husbandry installations in Cyprus.
The waste disposal permit aims on the overall waste management and best control of the facilities’ activities whilst the air emission permit aims on controlling the emissions of pollutants to the atmosphere by means also of procedures’ best control and application of BATs.
Client: Private Sector Cyprus
Type: Environmental Permitting, Waste & Pollution Management
Other Partners: –
The necessity for a waste disposal permit derives from article 9 of the “Water and soil pollution control” law 106(I)/2002, whilst for an air emission permit derives from article 8(5) of the “Atmosphere pollution control” law 187(I)/2002. The common tasks that are fulfilled for the completion of these applications are:
- Detailed description of the installation, including capacity, buildings, procedures, raw and auxiliary materials, water supply, energy consumption, future plans for expansion of the installation
- Description of the environment surroundings in correlation with the installation, including urban zones, road network, residential areas, other buildings like hospitals, schools, hotels, sport facilities, other industrial facilities or waste disposal sites
- Brief environmental impact assessment of the facility operation
- Measures taken to minimize the environmental impact
- Both of the applications cover issues of solid wastes, wastewater and air emissions. The difference is in the detail needed for each permit application, as follows:
- For wastewater and solid wastes, the waste disposal permit covers the details of untreated and treated wastes, the total description of the treatment procedures (in some cases of animal husbandry there is cogeneration of heat and energy by utilising the biogas produced during the anaerobic treatment), the wastewater storing/evaporation reservoirs, the exact place and way of the final waste disposal, including sheet/plan and plot numbers for the exact location or licensed company that undertakes the responsibility for the final waste disposal.
- For air emissions, the air emission permit covers the details of the exact source of each air emission stream, its flow characteristics, its quality before any treatment and the description of the possible treatment procedures, the air quality monitoring plan and whether there is an air quality control station in the air and all the details of the possible use of fuel burning machines concerning fuel consumptions and exhaust fumes.