Client: Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment – Forestry Department
Other Partners: NERCO – N. Chlykas & Associates (Greece)
The total area of the three National Forest Sites is 6.926 ha, of which 65% is part of the Natura 2000 Network. The species Pinguicula crystallina and Peucedanum kyriakae had priority for management measures. Pinguicula crystallina is included in the endangered species, Annexes II & IV of Directive 92/43/EEC and is characterized as “Vulnerable” in the Red Book. The species Peucedanum kyriakae is designated as “Endangered” due to its limited number. The area east of the Kakomali area until Akapnou forest, is of great importance for migratory raptors, as it is used as a resting station for many species during their migration. Especially, Pernis apivorus has been recorded in large numbers, up to 800 birds stationing in the region. The most important species of birds that breed in the region, such as diurnal (e.g. Aquila fasciata, Accipiter gentilis) and nocturnal raptors (e.g. Otus scops cyprius, Tyto alba), depend on the existence of mature and extensive forest, combined with gaps or open areas for foraging.
The objective of the project was the formulation of the Environmental Management Plan of the National Forest Sites, which aims the protection and conservation of the forests’ biodiversity and ecosystems.
The tasks that were successfully completed and the services that were provided were:
- Analysis of the current situation, based both on available data and references, as well as field work
- Assessment of the main pressures and threats due mainly to fire events, insects and plant infections
- Proposals for protection zones and measures that aim to the area’s protection and management, for restoration and conservation of endemic and rare plant species with emphasis on endangered species, for enhancing public awareness, for improving the forest quality, for better control of hunting activities and fire events
- Cost estimation of planned projects, works and studies
- Preparation of detailed maps, that present the area’s geology, topography, hydrology, land use, regional boundaries, infrastructures, human activities, vegetation, habitats and protection zones