CLIENT: Private Sector
The aim of the «The Management of Groundwater during the construction of the “QN KITION” Project in Larnaca» was the achievement of the required drop of groundwater level during the construction works, as well as the rational management of the overall pumped quantity during the excavation phases.
Within the elaboration of the study, a pumping test was carried out for the determination of the aquifer parameters of the area. The proposed dewatering system was designed based on the hydrogeological conditions of the study area. Ι.Α.CO proposed the necessity of the construction of a diaphragm wall (D-wall) until a depth of 18-20m, in addition to the drilling and use of four (4) deep wells in total. Furthermore, during the final excavation phase, the use of a perimetric trench, combined with the use of two (2) sumps is suggested.
After the construction of the D-wall, a second pumping test was conducted in order to examine the effectiveness of the D-wall. Finally, a settling tank was designed in order to obtain the dewatering quantities before their disposal.
The tasks that were successfully completed and the services that were provided were:
- The achievement and maintenance of dry conditions internal to the D-wall during the construction phase
- The maintenance of the initial groundwater quality characteristics
- The rational management of the overall pumped quantities during the construction phase
- The avoidance of any possible movements of buildings around the excavation
- The monitoring of the overall dewatering process